Monday, December 1, 2014

Broccoli Cheddar Quinoa Fritters


These fritters are a healthier riff on deep fried jalapeno poppers. Lightly pan fried, it's sort of like making pancakes. They cook that fast. Quinoa gives them a modern spin and good dose of fiber.  They’re loaded with vitamins and minerals too.

Crispy on the outside and moist in the centers, a bit of cheese lends creaminess against the heat of the jalapeno. I've received comments that even cowboys and kids like them. Readers have prepared them many different ways. Some have even baked them. It makes my heart happy to see people enjoying them. The joy of blogging is sharing my favorite recipes with you! 



Broccoli Cheddar Quinoa Fritter Recipe


Makes 10 fritters


Some Notes & Tips


Pamela’s Gluten Free Baking Mix can replace the self rising flour.
The quinoa can be made the night before you’re going to serve them.

Really run your knife over the scallions and the jalapeno to ensure they cook properly in the fritters.  I steam the broccoli until bright green and tender. 
Kids enjoy them if you leave out the jalapeno. Removing the seeds and veins of the pepper will reduce the heat. 
The fritters can be wrapped in plastic wrap and stored in the fridge for few days. They reheat well in the microwave. They lose some crispiness but still retain their flavor.
I serve them with lime wedges, creme fraiche or sour cream. 

Check out all my my vegetable fritters and vegetarian recipes in the Recipe Index


Ingredients

  • 1 generous cup of cooked broccoli, cooled and diced into very small pieces 
  • 4-6 scallions, finely diced
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, minced (optional)
  • 1 lime, zested   
  • 1/4 cup of finely chopped fresh parsley or cilantro (optional)
  • 2 cups cooked and cooled quinoa
  • 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese or cheese of your choice 
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 tablespoons of milk
  • 1/3 to 1/2 cup of self rising flour 
  • Salt to taste
  • Olive oil for pan frying
  • To Serve: lime wedges, creme fraiche, sour cream, Greek yogurt, salsa, hot sauce 
Instructions

Place the broccoli, quinoa, cheese, jalapeno pepper, scallions, lime zest, parsley, milk, salt and eggs in a large bowl. Add self rising flour to the bowl and stir everything together. Start with 1/3 cup of self rising flour and add more if the mixture seems too wet.

Heat a large nonstick frying pan on medium high with some olive oil. Drop the batter by 1/3 cup fulls into the hot pan. Cook until golden brown on each side. Serve with lime wedges and any of the above suggestions. 

Bon Appetit & Blessings! 
xx ~ Jilly 

6 comments:

  1. Oh, wow, these look amazing! I want to try them, but I don't have all the ingredients. I guess I will make muchos substitutions and hope for the best! I am using zucchini for broccoli, almond milk and low carb baking mix.The only thing I am really worried about is the zucchini. I may add some taco seasoning for more flavor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi There! I think zucchini will work. When I use it in fritters, I usually grate it raw...like I do for my chickpea and zucchini fritters. http://sewfrenchembroidery.blogspot.com/2014/10/chickpea-and-zucchini-fritters.html. You can view all my fritter recipes in the Recipe Index. Taco seasoning sounds great too! Good luck! You're creating your own version which is wonderful! Thanks for popping by! Happy Cooking! xx ~ Jilly

      Delete
  2. I made these today and they were so simple! Delicious to have with sriracha sauce.
    It tasted so good and felt healthy. Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Namita, I'm so happy you enjoyed them. Everything is better with sriracha sauce. Thanks for leaving a kind comment. Happy Cooking! xx ~ Jilly

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing such beautiful information with us. I hope you will share some more information about broccoli.Please keep sharing.
    Benefits Of Broccoli Juice

    ReplyDelete