Sweet corn, spicy chili, creamy black beans, tangy lime work together in perfect harmony to create magic. The addition of paprika and cumin lend smoky notes. Mexican flavors are in every cloud-like bite.
Pair these fritters with freshly steamed rice and you have a complete protein. Eat them with salsa, creamy avocado, sour cream, creme fraiche or thick Greek yogurt and you’re in for one tasty, healthy meal. Guacamole would be great too.
Black Bean Corn Fritters Recipe
Makes about 10 cakes
- 16 ounce can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, finely diced. Omit pepper if you don’t like it spicy or remove some of the seeds and veins.
- 1/4 cup of fresh or frozen corn
- 2 limes, zest one and place the zest in a medium bowl.
- 6 scallions, diced and divided. Put half of the chopped scallions in the bowl with the lime zest.
- A generous handful of fresh parsley or cilantro. About 1/4 cup. Add to the bowl with the scallions and lime zest.
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup self rising flour or Pamela’s Gluten Free Baking Mix
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika (optional but so good)
- Salt to taste
- Olive oil or neutral tasting oil for cooking
- Serving Suggestions: sour cream, Greek yogurt, creme fraiche, limes, salsa, rice, avocado, hot sauce