Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Mexican Corn Cakes with Jalapeno & Lime



I've taken a break from designing and stitching a new pattern to make these corn cakes for lunch. They're an easier riff on my usual recipe. If you've followed me for a while, you know I love veggie cakes and fritters. Do you love them too? They satisfy my cravings for deep fried food. You can view all of them in the Recipe Index.

A Mexican cheese blend is delicious in these corn cakes. Golden-brown, light and fluffy, they're ready in about 20 minutes. Self rising flour helps them puff-up, which is a good thing. Pops of sweet corn, wrapped up in a pillow-soft center, along with some spicy jalapeno is a winning combo. They're crave-worthy and enticing. A squeeze of lime is a fresh finish. The deep-fried-calories and mess are missing... hassle-free cooking at its best.




Mexican Corn Cakes with Jalapeno & Lime 

Makes 8-10 Cakes

Some Notes & Tips 

Don't use your spatula to squish them as they cook. Just let them do their thing so they'll be fluffy and light. Cook until lightly golden brown on both sides. It's sort of like making pancakes. Try not to overcook them. I use my large nonstick Scanpan for this recipe. 

Instead of frozen corn, fresh is nice in the summertime.


To keep things on the lighter side, I use a cup of reduced fat Mexican cheese blend in this recipe. But cheddar or Monterey Jack are good choices too. You can increase the cheese to 1 1/2 cups if you're in the mood.


Some sliced avocado and tomatoes are nice alongside these corn cakes. 
 


Ingredients


  • 16-ounces of frozen corn (about 3 cups). I use one 16-oz bag of Bird's Eye Sweet Corn. Fresh corn will work too.
  • 4 scallions
  • All or part of one jalapeno pepper, minced
  • 1-2 limes
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend. I use reduced fat. 
  • 1 cup self rising flour
  • Oil for cooking
  • Salt to taste
  • To Serve: lime wedges, sour cream, salsa, sliced tomatoes, sliced avocado


Instructions


Dice the dark green and light green parts of the scallions and put them in a large microwave safe bowl along with the corn and the minced jalapeno pepper. Microwave the mixture for 3-4 minutes, stirring once or twice to promote even cooking. Let the mixture cool slightly and then stir in the milk, cheese, self rising flour, salt and eggs. Mix to combine. Heat a large fry pan on the stove with oil. With a large spoon, drop the batter onto the hot pan. Fry until both sides are golden brown and the centers are cooked. Serve with a good squeeze of lime, extra lime wedges, sour cream and any of the suggestions.

Bon Appetit & Blessings!

xx ~ Jilly


  


21 comments:

  1. This sounds so good that I can't wait to make them. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary Lynn, my friend makes these corn cakes for her family, putting her own spin on them. They're easy and versatile. Hope you like them too!

      Delete
  2. Made them they were delish and sooooo easy. Everybody over them

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made them they were delish and sooooo easy. Everybody over them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brenda, so happy you enjoyed them! 😊

      Delete
  4. They were delicious! I will be cooking them up again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi There, very happy you liked them! Happy Cooking! 😊

      Delete
  5. These were delicious! The only addition I made was 1 clove of garlic and small amount of red pepper for additional color. This is one of my keepers. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gayle! Great additions! Yum! My friend serves them with hot sauce. I like them with Sriracha too. Happy they're one of your keepers. 😉

      Delete
  6. Curious to see if anyone has tried cooking this mixture in a waffle iron?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margie! I imagine this might work. If you do try it in a waffle iron, pop back here and let us know. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  7. I'd love to try this recipe, but wondering if a Gluten-free or almond flour would work instead of the 'self-rising' flour? Not sure I know if they're considered self rising or not... Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi J, self rising flour has baking powder in it. You can google "how to make your own self rising flour." Sub-in gluten free flour for the regular flour. There are many gluten free options out there too. Pamela's Gluten free mix is great. I think it contains baking powder. I've used it in my broccoli cheddar quinoa fritters and it works just fine. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  8. Hi J, great pictures and recipe looks fab. My partner isn't too keen on the taste of eggs so I was just wondering how 'eggy' these taste? Bit of a fussy one! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi There, thanks so much! My husband isn't an egg fan either. But he'll eat things with eggs.. like pancakes or French toast. He passes on scrambled eggs or eggs in their pure form. I don't think they're too eggy. Bumping up the cheese might help your partner enjoy them more. Cheese makes everything better. Happy Cooking! xx ~ Jilly

      Delete
  9. Hi! Is the batter a bit sticky when you make it? I added some corn meal but I think that made the cakes too tough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda, I would say it is a bit sticky. They cook up fluffy though. 😉 Corn meal will make them more dense and maybe a little dry.

      Delete
  10. Also, what heat setting do you use on the stove?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi There, Medium to medium high works for me. Keep an eye on them. It's sort of like making pancakes. Hope that helps. Happy Cooking!

      Delete
  11. Hi, these sound delicious. I don't have self-rising flour, do you think I could substitute all-purpose flour if I added some baking powder? If so, about how much? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi There! Yes, I'm just not sure how much baking powder? You can do a google search on "how to make your own self-rising flour." Then you can use your homemade self-rising flour in this recipe. It should be fine. I hope that helps. Happy Cooking! xx~Jilly

      Delete