Monday, April 20, 2015

Korean Style Quinoa Salad



I'm stitching away this rainy day. My next pattern will be a little redwork monogram that I think you'll like. The gray sky made me crave a perky lunch. I was in the mood for something spicy, fresh and filling. I settled on this Korean inspired salad. The flavors of garlic, sesame and scallion work well with quinoa. Chili wakes up the taste buds, without setting them on fire. Bright green broccoli is also plentiful here. Thai basil is more than welcome in this recipe. Some diced chicken or avocado would be great too. It's a light but satisfying meal that'll keep you going for hours. If you're on the fence about quinoa, give this salad a try. I think you'll be happy you did.




 

Korean Style Quinoa Salad Recipe


Serves 2

Some Notes & Tips:

Like most salads, it's best freshly made and eaten.

I use 4 scallions in this recipe because I love them. Adjust the amount according to your personal taste.

Steam the broccoli until bright green and tender. Try not to overcook it.

Remember to rinse the quinoa, before cooking, to remove the bitter coating.

You can make quinoa and broccoli ahead of time, even the night before you're going to serve this salad.

I use a microplane zester to grate the ginger.

I use Lee Kum Kee chili garlic sauce in this recipe. It has a wonderful flavor and medium heat. I find it in my regular market. Like soy sauce, it is high in sodium. So adjust it according to your preference.  



Ingredients


  • 1 1/2 cups of cooked and cooled quinoa
  • 2 cups of diced cooked and cooled broccoli 
  • 2-4 scallions, diced 
  • 1-inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated
  • 1 large handful of Thai or regular basil, chopped (optional, but very good)
  • 2 tablespoons of chili garlic sauce (see notes for information)
  • 1/2 tablespoon of regular or low sodium soy sauce (or to your taste)
  • 1 tablespoon of Asian sesame oil  
  • 1 tablespoon of rice vinegar
  • To Serve: sprinkling of sesame seeds, drizzle of sesame oil  

Instructions


Mix everything together in a medium bowl. Serve with a sprinkling of sesame seeds and a drizzle of sesame oil.

Bon Appetit!

1 comment:

  1. wonderful its a very good recipes to make delicious food thanks for information

    ReplyDelete