Saturday, May 9, 2015

Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins



Oh these muffins! They have a deep, double-chocolate, sinfully good flavor, with melty chocolate chips and a moist texture. They're a chocolate lovers dream because not only do they taste rich and scrumptious, they're made with Greek yogurt, zucchini and unsweetened applesauce. 

This healthier treat has captured my heart. These crave-worthy muffins have been in rotation here for a while now. I turn to them again and again. They're that good. My husband and I happily eat them for breakfast or a snack. Please give them a go! I've been so eager to share them with you!





I found the recipe on Carlsbad Cravings.  Have you been to Jen's lovely blog yet? It's worth the trip. She will also capture your heart in adoration with her amazing life story. God bless this woman for sharing her faith-fueled optimism and her delicious recipes with us on the web.



Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffin Recipe 

Makes 12 Muffins


Some Notes and Tips

I riffed on Jen's Skinny Double Chocolate Zucchini Pecan Muffins just a bit. Carlsbad Cravings is where you can find her original recipe. I kept them pure and simple. It's all about the chocolate for me. She jazzes them up with pecans and warm spices. If that's what you're in the mood for, pop on over and check out her great recipe.

I shredded one medium zucchini for this recipe.

Sometimes laziness gets the better of me and I mix everything in one bowl. It works out fine. 

If you love muffins, check out the breakfast section of the Recipe Index for all my recipes.

If you want to eat them the day after they're made, store them in an airtight container in the fridge and pop them in the microwave to warm. We enjoy them for several days this way.


Ingredients


  • 1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
  • 3/4  cup of brown sugar. I use Florida Crystals Organic Brown Sugar.
  • 1/2 cup of cocoa powder. I use Unsweetened Ghirardelli Baking Cocoa. 
  • 1 teaspoon of baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon of salt. I use sea salt.
  • 1/3 cup of semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips. I use Ghiradelli 60% Chocolate Chips. 
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 cup of 2% Greek yogurt. I use Fage brand. You can also use nonfat.
  • 1/4 cup of milk. I use So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut  Milk.
  • 1/3 cup of unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
  • 1 cup of shredded zucchini 

Instructions


Preheat oven to 350 and grease a standard 12 cup muffin tin or line with paper liners.

In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, brown sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt and chocolate chips. In another separate bowl, mix the milk, egg, applesauce, yogurt, vanilla extract (if using) and zucchini. Combine the wet ingredients with the dry. Don't overmix. Fill the prepared muffin cups with the batter. Bake for about 15-20 minutes. 

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment