A simple chicken curry with creamy coconut milk and perky ginger is what's for dinner tonight. Coconut milk is a rich source of antioxidants and certain minerals, including iron and potassium. Vitamins C, E and many B vitamins are abundant in coconut milk too. This a light curry in that it doesn't contain lots of butter or cream. You'll feel energized after you've enjoyed a bowl of it.
Chicken curry can be on your table in no time. A potato gives it substance. It's mild and mellow with great flavor. Even if you've never made Indian food, you can prepare this delicious dish without much effort. If you've got fresh mint growing in your garden, sprinkle some on top. A squeeze of fresh lime juice is a must! If you're serving guests who like a little more heat, you can offer them some thinly sliced chilis or sriracha sauce. Get your curry on!
Easy Indian Chicken Curry Recipe
Makes 4 Cups
Some Notes & Tips:
- 8-ounces of boneless and skinless chicken tenders, diced into small pieces. You can also use boneless and skinless chicken thighs.
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 baking potato, peeled and diced
- 1-inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1-2 limes
- A can of full fat coconut milk or an 11-oz container of So Delicious Culinary Coconut Milk
- 1-2 tablespoons of mild curry powder (see notes for recommended brand)
- Salt to taste. I use sea salt.
- Ghee, butter or oil for cooking
To Serve: fresh mint, thinly sliced chili, salted cashews, basmati rice, chapati, roti
In a pot or a saucepan, saute the onion with some ghee or butter and a pinch of salt until tender. Stir in the coconut milk, potato, ginger, garlic, tomatoes and curry powder. Salt to taste. Bring to a gentle boil. Turn down the heat, cover the pot, and simmer for about 10 minutes until the potato begins to soften. Stir in the chicken. Salt to taste. Bring back up to a boil. Turn down the heat, cover and simmer for another 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Serve with a few squeezes of lime juice and any of the above suggestions.