This French cake is a special autumn treat when pears are firm and juicy. A whisper of warm spices and vanilla compliment the delicate taste of the pears. There are more pears than cake in the final product. The batter enrobes the pears just barely so that the cake plays a supporting role. The pears are the star. This lovely cake has a caramelized top and a moist center. I'm always happy to have this classic cake sitting on my counter.
I've made this vintage French recipe for many years with my homemade vanilla sugar. Regular white sugar works fine too. This cake is delicious served warm from the oven with a topping or side of whipped cream.
French Vanilla Pear Cake Recipe
Makes 6 Servings
Some Notes & Tips
When buttering the pan, the butter wrapper is a handy tool.
I use the whisk attachment with a handheld electric mixer to beat the eggs.
Feel free to bump up the spices. You can also stir in 2-3 tablespoons of pear brandy to the batter with the vanilla extract.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup of my homemade vanilla sugar or regular white sugar. You could reduce the sugar to 2/3 cup if you prefer,
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt. I use sea salt.
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of grated nutmeg (optional)
- 4 pears
- 2 large eggs
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
To Serve: whipped cream