Saturday, November 22, 2014

Blueberry Buckwheat Pancakes


While browsing my favorite used book store in a little town just outside Boston, I picked up  Vegetarian Planet at a bargain price. I would have paid more for this cookbook just for this one recipe. After my first bite of buckwheat pancakes, I said a silent thank you to the author for creating such a beautiful recipe.

These pancakes are high in protein from the addition of Greek yogurt that’s mixed into the batter. The yogurt also makes them incredibly moist which is needed in whole grain pancakes. High in fiber, key flavonoids, anti-oxidants as well as very light and airy, buckwheat pancakes surprised me with their appealing texture and taste. 
Made with either gluten free free flour or regular white flour, they're now in my breakfast rotation. Since I consider myself a pancake devotee, I’m selective about my go-to pancake recipes. They have to be fluffy, light, moist and relatively easy. I’m not into whipping egg whites on weekday mornings.If you’re looking for the same things in a pancake, they will not disappoint. Pleasantly sweet on their own, the addition of blueberries makes them even better. 




Blueberry Buckwheat Pancake Recipe

Adapted from Best Buckwheat Pancakes Recipe in Vegetarian Planet 
by Didi Emmons
Makes 6 three to four inch pancakes

Some Notes: 

The batter is kind of thick, but it worked very well for me. It will be a slate gray color from the buckwheat flour. I used a 5.3 ounce container of Fage Greek Yogurt with blueberry in the side pocket. I used just the yogurt in the batter. It measured 1/3 cup. You could stir the blueberry part into the maple syrup and warm it up.
Buckwheat is gluten free. The nutritional profile is great!


Ingredients


  • 1/3 cup Greek yogurt. I used 2 percent. You could use nonfat too. I have only tried this recipe with Fage Brand.
  • 1/3 cup of water
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tablespoon of a neutral tasting oil plus more for cooking
  • 6 tablespoons of all purpose flour or Pamela’s Gluten Free Baking Mix
  • 6 tablespoons of buckwheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon of sugar. I use my Natural Vanilla Sugar  
  • 1 teaspoon of baking soda
  • Pinch of salt
  • Frozen or fresh blueberries for sprinkling on the pancakes

To Serve: maple syrup, powdered sugar 


Instructions

In a medium bowl whisk the yogurt with the water and the egg, melted oil and the dry ingredients. Stir everything together until combined. Drop spoonfuls of batter(I use a 1/4 measuring cup) onto a nonstick, hot griddle lightly sprayed or drizzled with oil.  Add a sprinkling of blueberries to each pancake in the pan while the batter is still wet. Cook them until golden on each side. Serve with powdered sugar or maple syrup.


Bon Appetit!


No comments:

Post a Comment