Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Blueberry Brown Sugar Oatmeal Cookies

brown sugar oatmeal cookies
Remember the classic oatmeal cookies of your childhood? The kind that tasted like oats and brown sugar, with moist, chewy centers and crispy edges. Your mom, gram or your best friend’s mom made them.  Well these are those cookies. 

Scratch made oatmeal cookies are easy and unsurpassed in their cozy taste. Blueberries and oatmeal are bff's. 
I like my oatmeal cookies unfussy and pure. I'm not into heavily spiced ones. If cinnamon oatmeal cookies are your thing, feel free to add some. 

oatmeal cookies recipe

These lovelies are my favorite recipe. They’re  a breeze to whip up.  Even a novice baker can do this. They’re given a  modern twist by the addition of dried blueberries.  My husband loves them. Bake some today and watch your family smile.
brown sugar oatmeal cookies recipe

Blueberry & Brown Sugar Oatmeal Cookie Recipe

Minimally adapted from Ree Drummond’s Brown Sugar Oatmeal Cookie Recipe
Makes about 28-30 cookies
Some Notes 
I find the dried blueberries at Trader Joe’s. If you can’t find dried blueberries, dried currants would be wonderful too. They’re also delicious pure and simple.

Sometimes, if the butter is soft enough, I don't bother with a mixer. I just beat everything together with a wooden spoon.  
I usually freeze half of the baked and cooled cookies. When I want a sweet treat, I take one directly from the freezer and pop it into the microwave for a few seconds. Instant bliss!
When lightly greasing the baking pans, you can use the butter wrappers. I learned this tip from my friend, Kelly, on her wonderful blog Making More. Go there for lots and lots of great tips and easy recipes.

Ingredients:
1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter, softened
1 cup of dark brown sugar
1 cup of light brown sugar
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
3 cups Old Fashioned Oats
1/2 cup dried blueberries (see notes for explanation)

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Lightly grease two large baking pans. You can use the butter wrappers to grease the pan.
In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter and light and dark brown sugar until fluffy and combined. Beat in the vanilla. Stir in the eggs and beat some more. Mix in the flour, oats, salt, baking soda and dried blueberries.  Mix to combine everything. Drop generous tablespoons of batter onto the prepared baking pans. Space them apart so they don’t stick together when they bake.  Bake for about 12-14 minutes. I use two large baking pans for this recipe and I place them both in the oven at the same time and rotate the pans halfway through the cooking time. Remove from the oven. Let cool slightly on the pan. Then transfer to a plate.   Enjoy!          

No comments:

Post a Comment