Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Quick Lime & Coconut Cream Cake




The French are fond of quick cakes. They're often made with yogurt and lemon. Here I swap the 3/4 cup yogurt for one cup of coconut cream. I also bump up the coconut flavor by using pure coconut extract. The recipe is based on one I found in a vintage (circa 1978) cookbook by the editors of Marie Claire called The Best of French Cooking.

I love the fresh lime flavor and the tropical notes of this cake. My husband seems to like it too. He has been eating a slice everyday, warmed in the microwave. I also like that it's easy to prepare. But it's a bit dense, probably because of the coconut cream. Maybe the trick is to reduce the coconut cream. I'm leaving it in your hands. If you decide to try this recipe, I'd love to know your suggestions to make it better. It's almost vegan, except for one egg. The cake benefits when served with diced tropical fruit (such as mango or pineapple) and whipped cream. My husband loves it because he likes plain citrusy cakes.





Quick Lime & Coconut Cake




Serves 6


Ingredients


  • 1 lime, zested and juiced
  • 1 tablespoon of rum (optional)
  • 2 teaspoons of baking powder
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 teaspoons of pure coconut extract
  • 1 cup of coconut cream. I use Trader Joe's Thick and Rich Coconut Cream.
  • 1 1/4 cup of sugar, I use Sugar In The Raw.
  • 2 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup of melted and cooled coconut oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
  • 1/3 cup of water
  • To Serve: coconut milk whipped cream, regular whipped cream, tropical fruit. drizzle of hot chocolate sauce, fresh berries, shredded coconut



Instructions

Preheat oven to 425

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Pour into a well greased 8 by 8 inch baking pan. I used coconut oil to grease the pan. Bake for about 20- 25 minutes. Turn the cake out of the pan and cool. Serve with fruit and whipped cream and enjoy!

_____________________________________________________________________

You may also enjoy:

Coconut Milk Whipped Cream 


No comments:

Post a Comment