Sunday, December 7, 2014

DIY Vintage Pinkeep



I found a little, funky vintage bowl in an antique store for a few dollars. I was using it as a place to keep my rings/jewelry/keys. Then I came across Miranda Walker's great idea to use a teacup saucer as a pin holder. I thought my bowl would make a perfect pin keep. I love anything retro.

If you find you've stumbled upon a fun bowl on your next thrifting adventure, why not try this? It's easy! It's a great gift for a sewing enthusiast, a cross stitcher or a quilter, along with some supplies and a favorite pattern.


All you need is a decent size magnet (or several) and some strong glue. I used a hot glue gun because I might want to remove the magnet someday. If you want the magnet to be permanent then use a glue like E-6000, found here.

Glue the magnet to the bottom of the bowl and let dry. Magnets come in all shapes and sizes. ProMag makes round, thick, ultra-strong ceramic ones that are a good choice for craft projects like this. I used one round magnet for the pinkeep. Here's the link: Ceramic Magnets  The amount of magnets you use depends on the size and thickness of your bowl. If using multiple magnets, glue one at a time and let dry. Otherwise, they tend to stick together.

extra strong ProMag round ceramic craft magnet 


Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment